Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Contador Shuffles Deck at Tour De France.

 Three-time champion Alberto Contador mixed up the Tour de France overall standings with a powerful move on the Col de Manse.While the same seven contenders topped the standings after the 17th stage Tuesday, Contador moved up a spot to sixth. Thor Hushovd won the stage in a breakaway.Contador, baring his teeth as his tires sizzled on the rain-slick roads, surged out of the pack on the mid-grade Col de Magne climb, and held on through a treacherous downhill finish in the 101-mile ride from Saint-Paul-Trois-Chateaux to Gap.Contador said "I knew I needed to attack. I couldn't care less if someone kept on my wheel — I knew one of them would fail. I'm so happy. It has been a major gap, much bigger than I expected."The unexpected surge by the Spaniard shook up the leaderboard at cycling's greatest race, which ends Sunday in Paris after a jaunt Wednesday into Italy, then two days in the Alps, and a time-trial Saturday in Grenoble.

No comments:

Post a Comment